How to Transfer WhatsApp Messages from your old phone to a new one
You have a brand new Android device and you do not want to lose your WhatsApp conversations? You transfer your WhatsApp account to the new device phone, but your previous conversations do not follow you. Extremely annoying, is not it? Fortunately, we are here to help.
As you discovered, conversations (WhatsApp chat) are stored in the phone’s memory, not on WhatsApp’s servers. When you switch phones and keep the same number, the entries that are saved on your old phone are not transferred to the new one.
To protect yourself from prying eyes, WhatsApp stores the history of your chat in the form of encrypted files. But, by chance, you do not need to decrypt them to move them to another phone: if you make a backup and transfer it, you can easily restore your dialogs.
This page summarizes the methods to move your WhatsApp messages from your old phone to a new one.
Method 1: Transfer via local backup
- You need to backup your chats using your old phone.
- Almost all versions of WhatsApp have an option to keep a security backup of chats in the phone’s memory or on the SD card. The path varies slightly from one operating system to another:
- Android: Settings> Discussions> Backup conversations
- IPhone: Settings> Discussions> Security backup (sync with iCloud)
- BlackBerry: Configuration> Media settings> Message history
- Windows Phone: Configuration> Security Backup
- Nokia S60: Settings> Discussion History> Keep Thread
- In android phone : Just go to WhatsApp, then tap the Menu button, then go to settings, then select Chat settings, then lastly select Backup Conversation.
- Then remove safely the SD card of your old phone and put it on your new phone.
- Install WhatsApp on your new phone.
- Then you will be prompted to restore your message history, then select Restore. Once restored, your old chats will appear on your new phone.
NOTE: For phones that have internal memory or an internal SD card (like most Samsung devices), you will need to transfer the / sdcard / WhatsApp / folder from your old phone to the same folder on your new phone. There are many ways to do this. You can use a file explorer, or even transfer the backup files to your computer.
- How to download and install whatsapp on Huawei Ascend
- How to block whatsapp account if your phone is lost or stolen?
Method 2: Transfer WhatsApp messages via Google Drive
You can save your discussions and media files in Google Drive. So, if you change your phone or get a new device, your discussions and media are transferable. To use Google Drive, please ensure that the following is true:
- You need to be connected to Google Drive in your phone
- Google Play services must be installed (only available for Android 2.3.4 and later)
- Your Google Drive account must have enough free space to accommodate all your WhatsApp data
- Your phone must have enough free space to be able to create the backup.
How to save in Google Drive
- Open WhatsApp
- Press the menu button > Settings > Chats > Chat backup > Back Up.
- Press Save to Google Drive and set the backup frequency to your liking or press Save to save immediately.
- You will be prompted to select a Google account on which the backup will be made. If you don’t have a Google account, tap add an account when prompted. Please remember the account you use for the backup.
How to Restoring whatsapp conversations from a Google Drive backup
- Install WhatsApp on your new phone.
- After verifying the same phone number used to perform the backup on the old phone, you will be prompted to restore your messages and media from Google Drive.
- After the restoration process is complete, tap on “Next” and your chats will be displayed once initialization is complete.
- After restoring your chats, WhatsApp will begin restoring your media files.
[mks_pullquote align=”left” width=”600″ size=”14″ bg_color=”#000000″ txt_color=”#ffffff”]
- – The above steps are only applicable for the same type of operating system. Example, from android to android, from iOs to iOs. You cannot transfer chat history if your new phone is in different type of operating system from your old phone.
- – Moving conversations between two other systems (e.g. transfer whatsapp backup from iPhone to Android or between BlackBerry and Android) is technically possible, but very complicated. To my knowledge, there are no tools to move the chats between these systems.